Forecaster’s Note · Saturday, September 26, 2026
Good morning, Truckee. Our airport sensor read 41.0°F at 4:15 this morning, wind out of the northwest at 3 miles an hour, dewpoint 34, humidity 75 percent, clear skies, ten miles of visibility. That reading is actually the warm end of an eventful night. At 6:49 last evening the airport stood at 60.8 degrees with a south wind blowing 15 miles an hour. The surface wind quit a little after eight o'clock, and by 8:15 the temperature had already fallen to 53.6. By nine it read 50. By 11:15, 44.6. By 1:55 this morning, it bottomed at 35.6, and it sat there until a light northwest drainage breeze stirred it back up to 41 in the last hour. That is eighteen degrees of cooling in six hours. The raw computer forecast had Truckee at 44 degrees at two in the morning. Call it 36 to 40 degrees at seven o'clock this morning. With a dewpoint of 32 to 34 riding right underneath the air temperature, that means frost in the low spots: windshields, the grass edge, the bottom of any drainage swale. This is not a hard freeze, but it is frost.
The paddle has to reach the bottom
Yesterday I told you that wind up around 10,000 feet acts like a paddle stirring the basin, and that with that wind holding 33 to 38 miles an hour overnight, the basin would be only half stirred and the cold pool would struggle to form. I called for 36 to 42 degrees at seven, and I will probably land right in that range. But my reasoning was wrong, and the reasoning is what you use next time, so let me walk through what actually happened.
The wind at that 10,000 foot level blew 37 to 39 miles an hour out of the southwest all night long. It did not matter one bit. The moment the surface wind quit at eight o'clock, the valley floor cut itself off from everything blowing above it, what we call decoupling, and it started bleeding heat straight up into a clear sky, completely indifferent to what was blowing 4,000 feet overhead. Friday morning played out differently for exactly one reason: the southwest wind was on the ground that night, 10 miles an hour gusting to 18 right at the airport, and that ground level wind is what kept the pool from forming. A paddle that never reaches the bottom of the bucket does not stir the bottom of the bucket, no matter how hard you swirl it at the surface.
So here is the rule for this basin going forward: watch the wind at the airport at sunset, not the wind up at the crest. Calm air at the ground by eight o'clock under a clear sky means the pool forms, and historically it has run 8 to 17 degrees colder than the computer grid predicts. The site's own scorecard backs this up: the station's low bias over 65 scored days now sits at 8.9 degrees warm, and the last five mornings have run 13, 13, 17, 4, and, this morning, about 9 degrees under the grid. The one near miss in that stretch was Friday, the one morning with real wind on the ground.
How yesterday's forecast did
The morning low, called 55 to 59 at seven: the airport read 53.6 at 6:50. The wind let go for about ninety minutes right around dawn and the airport slid five degrees before it built back up. That is two degrees under my bottom number, a moderate confidence miss. The afternoon high, called 67 to 69: the airport read 69.8 at 12:49 and again at 2:49, a hair over my range but close enough to call a hit. Humidity, called 28 to 32 percent: the airport read 28 percent at 11:49, a solid hit.
The wind, called 18 to 22 sustained with gusts of 30 to 35. The airport printed 16 knots gusting 28 at 12:49 and 18 knots gusting 30 at 1:47, out of the south-southwest. That is the very bottom of both my sustained range and my gust range. On Friday I told you I was going to stop reading the bottom of the model range on windy days and start reading the top. I did exactly that yesterday, and the wind came in at the bottom anyway. Two days of data, two opposite lessons. The honest read is that the middle of the gust range has actually been the best number to use all week, and that is what I am switching to today. The site's scoring system graded Friday at 91 out of 100, with a low error of only 4 degrees and zero wind error. The Lake Wind Advisory itself verified right at the bottom of its stated range, with gusts reaching 30 miles an hour at the airport.
The big picture
Everything happening around us right now traces back to the same set of ingredients we have been tracking all week: the height of the pressure surface up near 18,000 feet, which tells us whether we sit under a ridge, a lid capping the atmosphere and keeping things calm and dry, or a trough, a dip reaching down out of the jet stream that lets storms and colder air ride in beneath it. We are in the gap between systems this morning, a flattened ridge behind us and a real trough approaching for tomorrow. The lesson from the last two nights is the one to carry forward: whether the cold air pool forms in our basin depends far more on whether the wind actually reaches the ground at sunset than on how hard it is blowing several thousand feet overhead. That single distinction, ground wind versus wind aloft, is going to decide tomorrow morning's temperature too, and I will walk you through exactly how in a moment.
Today: GO, breezy afternoon, no advisory
There is nothing on the board for Truckee this morning. No advisory, no watch, no warning, no Red Flag. The Lake Wind Advisory that covered yesterday expired at eight last night and was not reissued.
The call is GO. Temperature at the airport: 36 to 40 at seven, 57 at nine, 66 at eleven, 68 to 70 from one through three, 67 at four, 63 at six. The range of computer forecasts for today's high reads 66, 67, 68, 69, 69, 69, 69, and 70 degrees, all eight models within four degrees of each other and six of those eight within a single degree, a high confidence read. I am reading 68 to 70. Reno should reach 79, nine to eleven degrees warmer than us, which is about right given the 2,400 feet of elevation difference between the two.
Humidity: 45 percent at eight, 30 percent at ten, 26 to 28 percent from eleven through five. The range of forecasts for today's minimum reads 25, 27, 29, 29, 29, 30, 32, and 33 percent, the American model alone at the dry end with 25. I am reading 26 to 30 percent.
The wind: light southeast drainage flow until nine o'clock, then it swings southwest and fills in. The American model shows 11 miles an hour at ten, 14 at noon, 15 from one through three with gusts of 22 to 24, dropping to 12 by five and down to 3 by seven. The range of gust forecasts reads 24, 25, 27, 29, 30, 34, and 36 miles an hour, the American model at the bottom and the German model at the top. Taking the middle of that range, as I told you I would after yesterday's lesson, I am reading sustained wind of 13 to 16 miles an hour with gusts of 25 to 30, running from eleven this morning through five this evening. Call that a moderate confidence read on the gust.
On the ground: tag lines on picks after ten. Panels and sheet goods on the hook are workable before eleven and after five; in the middle of the day, pick your moments. Tarps strapped down before you leave for lunch. Dust control on the haul roads starting late morning, since nothing has wet them down since the 22nd. Skies are clear at the airport, though the computer grid carries a high cloud sheet across the afternoon, so expect a dim, milky sun. UV runs 6, sunset is 6:50, and pressure is easing down about two millibars through the afternoon ahead of tomorrow's trough.
Fire weather: dry enough to respect, not dry enough to fear
Humidity at 26 to 30 percent with gusts to 30 does not meet Red Flag criteria, and the National Weather Service has nothing posted. The fine fuels are still cured after a week of single digit dewpoints, so the standard rules hold: hot work needs a fire watch and a charged water can, a clear zone downwind, which today means to the northeast of the work, and thirty minutes of eyes on the area after the last spark.
The Floriston Fire is off the board entirely: 622 acres, 100 percent contained, ten days in, and the site drops a fire from the daily watch list once it has held full containment for a week. There is one new start to note: the Goni Fire, found yesterday afternoon 25 miles east-southeast of us near Carson City, 25 acres, containment not yet reported. Today's southwest wind carries its smoke to the northeast, away from our basin. If you see a smoke column over the Carson Range this afternoon, that is where it is coming from. Air quality reads 30 this morning, Good, with fine particulate at 1.6 micrograms, drifting up to about 40 by evening. Clean air today.
Sunday the 27th: the trough, and a windy one
The pressure height near 18,000 feet runs about 5,785 meters this morning and falls to about 5,680 meters by Monday dawn. The air at the 10,000 foot crest level cools from 42 degrees now to 34 degrees by Monday morning. That is the trough working through.
Sunday morning, the wind at that crest level climbs to 42 to 45 miles an hour by dawn, and the computer grid keeps a light wind at the ground overnight, with gusts of 14 to 16 miles an hour. Here is where this morning's lesson comes back into play directly: if that surface wind actually shows up at the ground, Sunday dawn mixes out the way Friday morning did. If it does not reach the ground, it pools the way this morning did. By the very rule I just walked you through, I will not know which outcome we get until I can check the airport wind at sunset tonight. I am reading 38 to 46 degrees for Sunday morning, a moderate confidence call. Check the airport wind reading around eight tonight; calm air there means you should lean toward the bottom of that range.
Sunday afternoon should reach 62 to 65 degrees. The model range reads 61, 62, 63, 64, 64, 64, 65, and 65. Reno should reach 74. The American model shows southwest wind of 17 to 18 miles an hour sustained from noon to three, with a gust range of 25, 27, 27, 28, 30, 32, and 36 miles an hour. I am reading gusts of 28 to 33, which makes Sunday the windiest afternoon of the next ten days. Tag lines from ten, and nothing with sail area on the hook from eleven to four. Humidity runs 29 to 34 percent. The German model squeezes out two hundredths of an inch of rain; no other model shows anything at all. Not enough to settle dust, let alone wet a trench.
Monday the 28th: circle it. The freeze is still on, and the footnote shrank
Sunday evening the wind aloft falls apart: 27 miles an hour at eight, 19 at ten, down to 7 by four Monday morning. The surface wind goes calm by nine Sunday night. Cold air behind the trough, calm at the ground, a basin dried out by three straight windy days. By the rule this morning taught us, that is a pool, and a cold one.
The range of computer forecasts for Monday's low reads 36, 36, 37, 43, 43, 44, 44, and 47 degrees, the American and British models both at the bottom. Applying the roughly 8 to 17 degrees this basin gives back on calm, clear nights, that works out to 28 to 33 degrees at the airport at seven on the morning of the 28th. That call holds steady.
The footnote from yesterday has shrunk. The British model's 0.22 inches of rain is gone; the British model is dry now. What is left is the European model at 0.05 inches, the German at 0.02, the Chinese model at 0.01, and a shower chance of about 18 percent from midnight to four in the morning. The computer grid carries cloud cover from midnight to about two, then clears it out by four. So the real risk is not rain, it is a cloud deck sitting over the basin for the first half of the night, which would hold heat in and shave the bottom off the freeze. If it clears by four, there are still three hours of clear sky radiating heat away before seven, which is enough to get comfortably under 32 degrees in this basin.
Here is what to do about it. Blankets go on Sunday night on anything poured Friday through Sunday. Drain the water truck, the wash out tank, and the trench pump lines Sunday evening. Anything holding water in a low spot freezes first. If you have a pour scheduled Monday morning, push the start time past nine and check the subgrade for frost before the truck shows up. Monday's high should run 64 to 68 degrees, with light wind turning northeast and humidity of 19 to 25 percent. High confidence on a cold morning; moderate confidence on whether it lands at 28 or 33.
The week ahead
Behind Monday's trough, the flow aloft turns northeast that night, running 18 to 30 miles an hour at the crest level. That is offshore flow, dry air sliding downhill off the Great Basin toward us, though at the airport itself it should stay light. Tuesday the 29th dawn: the model range for that low runs 37 to 49 degrees, which works out to 30 to 35 degrees at the airport. I am penciling in a second frost morning. Tuesday's high should reach 71 to 74 degrees, with the American model running warmer at 78. Humidity 13 to 18 percent.
Wednesday the 30th should reach 77 to 82 degrees. Humidity runs 8 to 14 percent, the British model at the dry end with 7. Wind stays light. That is the driest air of this whole stretch, arriving on a calm day rather than a windy one.
Precipitation signals
There is essentially no rain signal on the board through the coming week beyond the small Monday morning shower chance discussed above, which itself has been shrinking model run over model run: the British model's earlier 0.22 inches has vanished entirely, leaving only traces from the European, German, and Chinese models. That shower band matters far more for what it does to Monday's cloud cover, and therefore Monday's freeze, than for any actual water it might put on the ground. Beyond Monday, every model keeps the week completely dry.
Looking further out
October 1st is worth circling in pencil. Highs should run 74 to 81 degrees, with humidity 7 to 16 percent, the European model at the driest end with 7. The American model shows sustained wind of 15 miles an hour that day, and the German model shows gusts to 34, the European model 24. Single digit humidity paired with gusts in the 20s is exactly the combination that makes a spark travel a long way, and while only two of the models show that wind and three do not, and it sits five days out, it is worth flagging now. This is a low confidence read, but if you have hot work planned on an exposed site, plan it for Tuesday or Wednesday instead and keep Thursday flexible.
October 2nd through the 4th brings the ridge back in fully: highs of 72 to 84 degrees, humidity 7 to 22 percent, light wind, with the American model running the warmest at 84 on the 4th.
Here is where it gets genuinely unsettled. Yesterday the American and Japanese models dropped a cold trough into October 3rd and 4th while the European model held the ridge. This morning it is exactly backwards. The American model now runs 75, 77, and 84 degrees for October 2nd through 4th, and the Japanese model runs 72 to 80. The European model is the one dropping a trough now, a day later than the others had it: 80 degrees on the 4th, then 65 on October 5th with 0.12 inches of rain and humidity jumping to 52 percent. When the American and European models trade their entire forecasts from one computer run to the next, that tells you neither one actually has a handle on it yet. There is a trough somewhere in the first week of October; nobody knows which day it lands. This is a low confidence, long range signal only. If you are planning a pour for that weekend, keep watching it, but do not plan around it yet.
Seasonal outlook and climate
Stepping back from the week ahead, it is worth talking about the winter taking shape behind all of this, because Errol's Godzilla El Nino series has been tracking exactly this pattern since June. As of NOAA's Climate Prediction Center update on September 10th, the nation's official forecasting agency has El Nino strengthening, with better than a 90 percent chance of a very strong event developing this fall and winter, and a 75 percent chance it becomes a historic event, stronger than anything on record back to 1950, up from a 69 percent chance in their update a month earlier. The water readings behind that call: the patch of the central Pacific meteorologists watch most closely read 1.8 degrees Celsius above normal on NOAA's newer measuring scale, the region closer to South America read 2.5 degrees above normal, and right along the coast of South America the water ran 3.4 degrees above normal at the surface, with water more than 10 degrees above normal at depth. Westerly wind anomalies near the surface and suppressed rainfall over Indonesia both fit that same picture. Columbia University's monitoring group had that central Pacific reading as high as 3.0 degrees above normal in the middle of September, and every one of the twenty two computer models that group tracks keeps a very strong El Nino running through the entire winter. NOAA's next official update comes October 8th, and I will pass along whatever it says the moment it is out.
What does a very strong El Nino actually mean for us here around Truckee and Lake Tahoe? Historically, it loads the dice, but it does not guarantee a huge winter on its own. The winter of 1982 into 1983 was an all time monster season here during a strong El Nino. But 2015 into 2016 was also a so called super El Nino, and it delivered a decent, but far from record, season in the northern Sierra. Southern California tends to see the more reliable rainfall boost from a strong event; the benefit up here in the northern Sierra is real, but considerably less certain. What a very strong El Nino reliably does supercharge is the subtropical jet stream, the river of fast moving air that steers storm systems into California from the southwest. That tends to mean warmer, wetter storms, a higher chance of what meteorologists call atmospheric river events, higher snow levels at times during those storms, and, worth saying plainly this early in the season, a real risk of rain falling on top of existing snowpack rather than adding to it, especially down near lake level. None of that changes anything about tomorrow's forecast, but it is exactly the backdrop I will keep coming back to as we move deeper into fall and into the heart of ski season.
Circle the date
Circle Monday the 28th. That is the day the cold air that has been building behind this week's wind finally settles all the way to the valley floor with nothing left to stir it, the way cold water settles and pools in the bottom of a bowl once you stop stirring it. Frost first thing, likely 28 to 33 degrees at the airport, and by midday the wind should already be building back in, so plan for a breezy afternoon on the other side of a cold, still morning.
The call
Today is a GO day. Frost sits in the low spots this morning, 36 to 40 degrees at seven, the pool formed the moment the ground wind quit last night even with 38 mile an hour wind still blowing overhead. Today's high reaches 68 to 70 degrees, humidity 26 to 30 percent. Southwest gusts of 25 to 30 run from eleven to five: tag lines after ten, tarps strapped, water the roads. Sunday brings 62 to 65 degrees and the windiest afternoon of the week, gusts 28 to 33. Circle Monday the 28th: 28 to 33 degrees at the airport, frost first thing and breezy again by lunch. Blankets on, and drain the water Sunday evening. Pencil a circle around October 1st too, for a return of dry air and wind together.
From the base of Palisades, that's your weather.
Errol Kerr, Olympic ski racer, excavation foreman, and the guy who checks the sky before the crew shows up.












